Monday, November 14, 2011

The Gristleizer!

The Gristleizer is a Crazy sounding effect that can go from being a subtle tremelo to over the top synth/spaceship sounds with the flip of a switch.

Basicaly it's Voltage Controlled Amplifier(VCA) or Voltage Controled Filter(VCF) that can be modulated by 4 different waveforms.

Designed by Roy Gwinn, the circuit was originally printed in 1977 in a UK magazine Practical Electronics.

Chris Carter from the Pioneering Industrial band Throbbing Gristle started making versions of the Gristleizer for his band mates and friends and it soon became an integral part of the bands recordings and live shows.

This pedal was built using a version of the circuit designed Taylor Livingston and "Slacker" (from the forums).
In the video I am running a MOOG Little Phatty straight in to the gristleizer with no other effects.

Here is a company selling the Gristleizer for $375.

When I made my personal Gristleizer I made a couple of extras. If anybody is interested I would be willing to sell one for much less than $375.